Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Antoinette K-Doe Empress Of The World 1943-2009

The top photo is Ernie and Antoinette K-Doe's wedding photo. It hangs over the fireplace mantel in our bedroom. It was a wedding present from the late Kelly Keller. It was through Kelly I met the K-Does, fellow New Orleans bar owners. They owned the Mother In Law Lounge at 1500 Clairborne, one of the coolest joints I've ever been in. Ernie of course was a great New Orleans R&B singer responsible for such classics as Mother In Law, Tain't It The Truth, et al. Ernie passed away in 2001. They were true New Orleans royalty (and the best dressed people I've ever encountered) and I'm honored to have known them. Antoinette died today of a heart attack. As Mardis Gras gathers steam until it's final blow out on Fat Tuesday bar owners get less and less sleep and are usually awake from Sat. night until Tues afternoon, it could wear out anyone, and Miss Antoinette, who rebuilt the Mother In Law Lounge after Katrina seems to have just worn her self out. She was one of the best and funniest people I ever met. I remember when Kelly was still alive, once a week she and Antoinette would hit the thrifts stores on the outskirts of New Orleans and I tagged along on several of these junkets. They were some of the most fun times I've ever had. Antoinette was not only funny, warm, and down to earth, she made the best beans and rice I've ever eaten. New Orleans will never be the same without her. R.I.P.
ADDENDUM TO YESTERDAY'S POST
Funeral Info-
Friday: Viewing Of the Body @ Mother In Law Lounge 2- 7 PM
Saturday: St.  James Methodist Church (1925 Ursuline Ave) 9-11 AM Viewing Of Body
11 AM Funeral Service followed by 2nd Line to St. Louis #2 Cemetery.
2:30 PM-6:30 PM- re-pass at Rock n' Bowl
  The family needs help with the funeral expenses, their attorney has opened an account for the Antoinette K-Doe Fund at the Metairie Bank.  You can send donations to:
Antoinette K-Doe Fund, 3341 Metairie, LA, 70001.
She'd do it for you...

14 comments:

halfpear said...

Very nice eulogy for one of the nicest people I ever met. Thanks, Hound, and R.I.P. Antoinette and Kelly.

Unknown said...

Jim, do you remember your first visit to New Orleans? I met you at the Mermaid and we went to the Mother In Law to see Ernie play and ran into Alex and Peggy...

The Hound said...

Heather,
I have pictures from that night, including a great shot of Ernie's shoes. If I can find 'em I'll post them. I remember Kembra from the band Karen Black was also there w/a crowd of freaks. I also remember Ernie making us all hold hands when he sang "White Boy Black Boy".

Anonymous said...

Sugar, I wonder if I know you. You are so right about Miss Antoinette's Rice and Beans - New Year's Eve 2006 she served them at Circle Bar.

We're busted about about Miss Antoinette's passing. All I can say is I am glad it was natural, as opposed to some stupid violence like than which has claimed so many of our friends. - d.

Anonymous said...

I'm really gonna miss her. Her crab gumbo was also the best. Slow cooking, she said.
She drove my girlfriend and I home on a rainy night when no cab would venture our way. Miss K-Doe said, in an ominous voice, "I'll drive you as long as you don't mind riding in a HEARSE!"

Jukeboxmafia said...

Sad, sad news (again)
What's gonna happen to the Mother in Law Lounge??

Leftlord said...

She served red beans at the Circle Bar a few times in 06 but that was for our Lil Buck,Roy Head, and Quintron show... we put Ernie on the balcony with a spotlight on him.

we (me, Antoinette, Sara, Steph, and Sean) had Kelly's 40th (?) birthday party at the mother in Law as a SURPRISE... went over well, even though I was scared it wouldn't (thanks to Antoinette)

There are talks in the works to save the Mother in Law, but like the Circle it will be hard to enjoy without its proprietor

Leftlord said...

I put up the pic of A and K on my blog

The Hound said...

hey, on your blog 2nd shot down I think that's me on the left on the barstool!
it's here:
http://planarianproductions.blogspot.com/
for the curious...

Leftlord said...

true, it is.

Anonymous said...

The correct address for donations is Antoinette K-Doe Fund, c/o Metarie Bank 3341 Metarie Road Metarie, LA 70001. The Birmingham Record Collectors Club had Ernie and Antoinette at several of our Record Shows. We also have visited the Club as a group in the pass. We will miss both of them. BRC

The Hound said...

thanks, I've corrected it....

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Alison, Lefty's girlfriend... with another address correction. The 2341 (not 3341) Metairie Road address is the firm of Mollere Flanagan & Landry, where Antoinette's attorney Raymond Landry works. Donations can go there or to any Metairie Bank branch as long as it's clearly marked for the memorial fund.

tablet pc barato said...

The writer is totally fair, and there's no doubt.

Let's Hear It For The Orchestra

Let's Hear It For The Orchestra
copyright Hound Archive